Monday, December 31, 2012

Book Chase: 2012 By the Numbers

Another calendar year is in the books and in just three weeks, I will mark the completion of six years of Book Chase - and I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to Year Seven with as much excitement as I felt on day one (January 20, 2007).  Because I retired from the rat race three days ago, I should have more free time to devote to the things I most love doing.  How that will affect Book Chase is anyone's guess, but I can't wait to find out.

I always enjoy looking at the year-end numbers because they bring back lots of good memories.  So here goes:
Number of Books Read - 134

Fiction - 102:
Novels - 94
Short Story Collections - 8

Nonfiction - 32:
Memoirs - 12
Biographies - 5
Books on Books- 2
Business - 2
Travel - 2
Other- 5
Sports - 1
Science - 1
History - 2

Written by Men - 91
Written by Women - 40
Co-Authored by Both - 3

Audio Books - 5
E-Books - 10
Library Books - 39
Review Copies - 87
Started but Abandoned - 9

Translated: 5
Pages per Day: 110

Total Number of Pages Read (Excluding audio books) = 40,200 
And now, it's on to 2013.

6 comments:

  1. James, this is probably the first year I've ever broken 100 pages a day. Last year, I think, was 92 pages a day even though my goal is always 100 a day. It will be interesting to see whether or not retirement translates into an increase or not. Somehow, I don't see how I'll get that much more time to read in any given day...maybe just saner reading times of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entertaining roundup! I like the "started but abandoned" category... I should add that one to my counting as well. Page count is interesting, never thought of doing that -- wonder how your new circumstances will change your stats next yearend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nine "abandons" is about my average per year, Melwyk. I started keeping that stat a few years ago when I realized I was reading a lot more pages than I could otherwise account for each year. Nerdy, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a year! And just imagine how much more reading time you will have now that you have retired! Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stefanie, I don't know where the days are flying to...I am getting in a bit more reading than usual, but I'm so busy just getting organized and cleaning up things that the days are going by very quickly.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.