Sunday, March 04, 2012

Taft 2012 - First Impressions

I have fallen in love with a new book, one that came directly from the publisher, but for which, frankly, I did not have high hopes.  I am particularly thrilled when something like that happens.

The title in question is Jason Heller's debut novel, Taft 2012.  To call this a "what if" novel is an understatement.  "What if" William Howard Taft disappeared on his last day in office and was never heard from again?  "What if" he was suddenly found wandering around the White House grounds - in 2011, 150 years after his birth?

"What if" much of the country suddenly realized that he was a perfect candidate for the 2012 presidential election?

I am about half-way through the book right now and I have to admit that I wish it were actually happening.  That probably says more about my politics than I intend to say (I reserve Facebook as the place where I regularly make an ass of myself) but that's what kind of novel this is - a "feel good" book for people wishing there were alternatives on both sides to what is being offered for our November 2012 consideration.

Taft 2012 is part satire, part farce, great alternate history, and just plain old fun.  I can't wait to finish it, and I pray that the second half lives up to the book's first half.  I'll know sometime tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. The second half of the book is a bit of a letdown, Debbie, so I'm not quite as in love as I was yesterday at this time..still, however, a very worthy read, especially for fans of alternate histories (which I most definitely am)>

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.