Sunday, October 30, 2011

Burn This Book


Confessions of a Jackass

I hate the thought of books being burned, censored, or otherwise abused.  I have, in fact, made numerous posts here on Book Chase over the past five years ripping into those who dare do that kind of thing - for any reason whatsoever.

But I am weak.  Worse than that, I am guilty of hypocritical behavior, for I admit that there is at least one book that I would burn in a second.  It's not that the book's content is worthless (although it most certainly is); it's because the book and its "author" might actually influence some little girl out there to emulate the behavior being celebrated under this hideous book jacket.  So, if by some fluke, I come across a free copy of this little loser's book, it will not survive long in my hands.    

I'm not going to reward Gallery Books buy buying myself a burn-copy, but if I spot one that's already been tossed away by some remorseful "reader", I will gladly put a match to that one.  Burn this book...please.  No, really.

6 comments:

  1. Given this post, you should read Corey Redekop's Shelf Monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, John...that book does have a certain appeal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even want to think about how many real books by real writers went unpublished thanks to that "book."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete, I'm not familiar with this publisher but I suspect that they might specialize in this kind of garbage. If that's the case, no decent books were passed over. If not the case, maybe the proceeds from this kind of tripe (there does seem to be a huge airhead market out there) will help cover the costs of publishing a real book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Complete garbage, I am sure. I cheer myself up by believing that no one will actually buy this trash except maybe for a gag gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Gag" gift, in every sense of the word, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.