Monday, December 13, 2010

Tulsa Time

I'm in a Tulsa Holiday Inn Express tonight watching The Houston Texans stink it up again this week - this time against the team that ran out on Cleveland fans a few years ago (Baltimore Ravens). It's a good bit colder here than I'm used to but I couldn't resist walking a quarter of a mile earlier this evening to a really nice Barnes & Noble I spotted as I was arriving at the hotel.

That turned out to be a good decision as it turns out, because I found two overstock books I had to have. Some of you know that I've been collecting Joyce Carol Oates books since the '80s. Ms. Oates is so prolific that I lose track of what she is publishing sometimes. As soon as I turn my back for a month or two, she slips in another new title. And then there are titles like the one I found tonight, My Sister, My Love, a book I failed to pick up in 2008 when it was released, and then forgot all about. With the exception of the remainders mark across the bottom of the book's pages, this is a pristine first edition copy.

The other book I found is book five in Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series, The Brutal Telling. I just raved here about book six in this series last week and mentioned that I wanted to read the first five, so finding this one for five bucks was a nice surprise.

I'm typing this entry on my iPad so, if it looks a little strange, that's my excuse. This thing is great for web browsing, games, book reading, etc., but writing a blog entry on it is definitely not a treat. Editing is particularly difficult inside the Blogger software, so I'm going to call it a night.

2 comments:

  1. I would have never known the difference if you hadn't said you were on your iPad.

    I do the same thing when I'm somewhere, I spot the book stores and visit them if I can. I was in torture a few weeks ago. I had to attend a conference for work in Columbus, OH and directly across the street was a huge Barnes & Nobel! I could see it from almost all the windows I looked out but couldn't get away from the conference long enough to go over! Instead I had to sit through seminars on electric utility regulations and managing an energy efficient building! I really was in torture, at least when I was awake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to here it's not overly obvious, Andy. It's really tough for me not to make typos on the virtual keyboard...and my writing seems really choppy- probably because I'm having to type so slowly.

    Your story is a heartbreaker. :-)

    (I'm in Dallas tonight...home tomorrow.)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.