Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Lost Weekend

I'm having one of those weekends where I just cannot focus in long enough on any one activity to get it done.  That has been particularly frustrating since this was a rare three-day weekend for me because I have to use my last three vacation days before December 31 or lose them.  I really thought I would be able to do some catching up with that extra day - instead, I've accomplished less than I do in a normal weekend.

 I see now that my intentions were unrealistic from the start, but I didn't expect to be so overwhelmed by what seems to be an unlimited list of little tasks that have to be done by the end of today.  Throw in all of life's little unexpected bonuses and, well, you know what happens.  My wife has been away since October 1 and she is returning for the day on Tuesday.  Of course, I will be in Tulsa on Tuesday.  And, you guys can only imagine the amount of housecleaning I need to do today in order to get anywhere near a passing grade on my housekeeping efforts since she's been away helping out at her mother's. 

I've done some editing for a family member, flitted around between three or four books, spent some real quality time with two of my grandchildren, made a run to the cleaners, the bank, the rent-a-car location, the library, etc., but still have to get to the grocery store so that I don't have to do that when I get home on Wednesday night.

But I do want to share a couple of bookish things with everyone before I start on the dreaded housecleaning routine:
Sean Scapellato sends word that Pat Conroy signed extra copies of My Reading Life when he was at Charleston's Blue Bicycle Books -  and that signed copies are still available if anyone wants to order one by mail.  Here's the link Sean provided for those interested (I certainly am).  Sean also mentioned that there's a new Pat Conroy book in the mix for the fall of 2011.  As Sean said, three Pat Conroy books in three years is a new world's record for Mr. Conroy.  I can't wait, as this one sounds like another very personal memoir about the fascinating Conroy family.
...
I know that some of you are really into short stories and I've been meaning to mention that Library of America sends a classic short story each week (via direct email) to those who sign up for the service.The current "Story of the Week," number 50 in the series, is All Parrots Speak, by Paul Bowles.  Last week it was I'll Be Waiting, by Raymond Chandler.  I think you can sign up for the free emails here. 
 That's it for the moment.  I'm hoping that my relatively quick toilet-scrubbing skills (and general lack of attention to the details of housecleaning) will allow me to get back here before I have to leave tomorrow morning for my drive to Tulsa.  Read on, guys.

Pat Conroy and Sean Scapellato

2 comments:

  1. There's always the "sprinkle some Pine-Sol on the floor" trick. It makes the house smell clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you tell me...

    That will come in handy next time.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.