Friday, May 29, 2009

When Ignorance is Bling...uh, Bliss

That great philosopher and wise man, Kanye West, has been quoted over on seattlepi.com in a statement that displays both his remarkable intellect and his willingness to share his brilliant insights with all the chumps in the world (the rest of us):
"Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed," West said. "I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book's autograph.

"I am a proud non-reader of books. I like to get information from doing stuff like actually talking to people and living real life," he said.
As the article points out, Mr. West has recently "written" a book of his own. I've seen it. I think my 7-year-old grandson could write a more meaningful book.

Kanye West: Ignorance preaching to the ignorant. Priceless.

A "book" of 52 pages, many of them blank or containing absurd amounts of "white space," a book requiring the help of a ghost writer... makes me wonder if Kanye West is a "proud non-reader of books" simply because he doesn't know how to read a book.

8 comments:

  1. Here's the weird thing: his mother (who died maybe a year ago) was a retired professor and former chairwoman of the Chicago State University English department. Supposedly they were very close, but who knows, maybe he's playing out some kind of parental resentment thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wonder about guys like him. Is this just part of his showbiz schtick...or is he really just another ignorant bum? I suspect that part of it is that he's playing to "his crowd" and thinks it will put money in his pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up. 52 pages with a ghost writer!!! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhapsody, I thought the same thing: His mother was an English prof!

    I think he is playing his part. You don't get to be that rich and that powerful by being an illiterate moron.

    If he came out and said he was a big reader, he might alienate his public. Sad thing is, imagine how he could use his power for good by proclaiming the power of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whether he's playing a role or not ... what a pathetic role for the kids who actually care about what he things/says.

    Couldn't help but notice the typo/misspelling in your title. I don't know if it was intentional for whatever reason, but just pointing it out in case you haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, that was supposed to be "thinks" not "things." Oh well, nobody's perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashley, I was blissfully ignorant of my typo until you pointed it out...but it almost fits, doesn't it? :-0

    I'm off to change it now...thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.