Sunday, May 18, 2008

Party Like It's Texas

This was one of those rare weekends for me when I spent almost no time at all on the computer. Believe me, that doesn't happen very often. But when a great country music show comes to my part of town, and the price is right (as in free), I'm there. So it was two days of listening to some folks who understand the difference between the faux-country music that's played on FM stations today and the real thing that's still sung in the honky tonks around the country.

Here's just a sample of some of the people I saw. Despite what lots of people think, there are some young country singers out there who are still singing in the traditional style. And we love them in Texas.


Amber Digby and Justin Trevino on a duet they did today (this video is a couple of years old, I think)


Miss Leslie & Her Juke-Jointers - this was actually recorded only a few hours ago


Tony Booth (shown here at Blanco's, a Houston honky tonk I've been known to frequent)

Others performing this weekend included Fort Worth's Jake Hooker & the Outsiders, Wayne "The Animal" Turner (recently retired from a 28-year stint with Hank William Jr.'s band) and Country Jim & His All-Stars who do some great old Bob Wills-style music.

It will be back to books the rest of the week...just wanted to record this here for my own record.

2 comments:

  1. Sam,

    Did you catch the article on Miss Leslie in yesterday's (Thursday, June 12th) Houston Chronicle?

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.