Sunday, May 25, 2008

Lost Bayou Ramblers and a Book or Two

It's been a busy Memorial Day weekend so far and it looks like it will stay that way for me. But I did have a chance to make a quick visit to Barnes and Noble yesterday to finally pick up my copy of Elizabeth George's latest Thomas Lynley book, Careless in Red, something I've looked forward to every year since I stumbled into the series way back in 1988. It's hard to believe that the series is 20 years old now. I also picked up a marked down copy of a book I'm completely unfamiliar with, Lisa Unger's Beautiful Lies after reading the first three pages of its first chapter. I'm still not sure exactly what it's all about but the writing is crisp and the basic plot description made me curious enough that I knew I would regret walking away from it.

The day was capped off for us by a Saturday night 40th wedding anniversary party for some friends of ours for which an amazing Cajun band was booked. It was a real treat to watch these guys do their magic and to see just how alive Cajun music still is. The band, Lost Bayou Ramblers, played many of the old traditional Cajun songs that I've heard all my life and they did it with great flare. Their driving beat had the dance floor pretty much filled all night long and the event turned into one very fine celebration of a marriage that is beginning its fifth decade.

Oh, and by the way, Lost Bayou Ramblers, was nominated for a Grammy this year and, although they didn't win the thing, it must have been the experience of a lifetime for them.


For those unfamiliar with Cajun music, this is typical of the sound and it's the kind of thing that had people dancing all night long...as usual when a Cajun band is in the building.


This picture was taken at the Grammy Awards show in February.

4 comments:

  1. I just finished reading Careless in Red last week. Although it was not a debaucle like What Came Before He Shot Her, I was still disappointed. I have always looked forward to each of Elizabeth George's books with great anticipation. For me, Carless in Red was kind of boring. I think Elizabeth George should stop introducing so many new characters and leaving ones we've come to care about behind. Although Havers was in this book, she was pretty much of an afterthought. Anyway, it will be interesting to hear your take on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syndi, I'm starting to hear and read a lot of similar opinions about this one. I'm really hoping that George hasn't "jumped the shark" with that last one...keeping my fingers crossed but it will be a few weeks before I actually read this new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how did you like Beautiful Lies? I just recently learned about Lisa Unger myself and finished Beautiful Lies - presently reading Sliver of Truth. I really enjoy her writing and her strong female protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to it, forby, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I was reading 8 books at a time this week and have it down to 5 now...and almost done with 2 of those.

    I may revert to reading one or two at a time again for a while...forgotten how that feels. If so, Beautiful Lies will be one of the next ones up.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.