Sunday, January 06, 2008

Truman Capote - Hollywood Versions

I really miss Truman Capote from the days when he was constantly showing up on television talk shows and variety shows. I enjoyed his "outrageous" mannerisms, his voice and the way that he always tried to shock the host and audience of the shows on which he guested. He always made me laugh and that is exactly what he wanted to do. But Capote managed to hide behind the "character" that he turned himself into and it allowed him to remain a celebrity despite the great writing difficulties that he had after he finished "In Cold Blood." He was unique and he still fascinates me but, for some reason, I've seen neither of the two movies about him that were produced a few years ago. I need to fix that.


"Infamous" movie trailer - Warner Brothers


"Capote" movie trailer - Sony

I've often wondered how two major studios could decide to produce almost the same movie at the same time, but I'm sure that Truman would have loved all the attention. I'm curious to see how Harper Lee is portrayed in the two films and to find out whether or not she had anything to do with either of them. So I'm finally getting around to these two movies (that's my usual pace these days when it comes to movies) and looking forward to what they have to say about Capote and Nell Harper.

8 comments:

  1. I read In Cold Blood when it first came out, and it scared me silly. Last year, I watched Capote and thought it was exceptionally well done. Haven't seen Infamous, but the trailer intrigues me, and I think I'll add it to my Netflix que.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just saw "Capote" about two weeks ago and I thought it was absolutely amazing. Philip Seymore Hoffman is an extremely gifted actor and he convinced me absolutely that he was Capote. I've heard that "Infamous" is equally as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, here. I've seen and loved Capote. In fact, after watching it, I have a renewed interest in his writing. Over the holiday break, I read two novellas, The Thanksgiving Visitor and A Christmas Memory. Both of these were really great reads and you do get a sense of where he got his unique sense of humor and personality. I highly recommend them both, as well as the movie Capote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenclair, I read it when it was first published, too, and it made such an impression on me that I still remember it vividly. It is a tremendous book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. baddict, I have "Capote" on order from the library as of yesterday afternoon but haven't found "Infamous" yet. I'm hoping to be able to watch both of them because both actors are really impressive in the trailers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I haven't read either of those...something more for my TBR list, I see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a huge Capote fan. I truley loved the movie Capote but thought Infamous was closer to real. Im surprised "Capote" got all the accolades.Did you see them both? What were your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Rural Writer. I've now seen "Capote" but not yet "Infamous." I enjoyed "Capote" and thought it very well done. I still find Capote to be a fascinating person and I'm planning to do more reading of his work in 2008. I've neglected him way too long.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.