Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Fruitcake Lady (Truman Capote's Aunt)

Speaking of Truman Capote, here's a clip of one of his aunts, Edna Marie Rudisill, who is said to have had a hand in raising him. Ms. Rudisill apparently became somewhat of a celebrity on the Jay Leno Show and this is said to be typical of what she did on the show. The woman had no fear and pulled no punches. She's funny, if "R Rated."



I've been told that the lady passed away a year or so ago at about 95 years of age. I tried searching for more details via Google but came up empty. She was definitely a hoot and if she was anything like this when Truman was a boy he may have gotten some of his sense of humor and his sharp tongue from her.

6 comments:

  1. I am still laughing. Thanks for sharing that with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this before and laughed just as hard this time. But I never knew she was Capote's aunt! That makes her even funnier. Thanks, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I really enjoyed that. Although it's not usually the place to go for information, Wikipedia has her birth name as Edna Marie Faulk, later changed to Marie Rudisill. No mention of a Jessie Lee Howard.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Rudisill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stewart, thanks for the heads up about her real name. I'm not always sure about the facts found in Wikipedia but I think it's probably a better source than YouTube, so I've edited my post to reflect her correct name. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, feline, glad that you enjoyed it. It made me laugh...a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenclair, do you see a little Truman Capote in this gal? Her wit and tone are much like his, I think.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.