Monday, May 21, 2007

Crazy Random Meme Redux

Dew over at The Hidden Side of a Leaf has tagged me in the "Page 161" meme and that's kind of cool because I just picked up a new book this afternoon and it was sitting in my lap when I saw her new tag. I was in my local Kroger this morning on an emergency run for a dozen eggs and some buttermilk (my wife was baking and came up short of both items) and I happened to go down the magazine/book aisle of the store. Well, of course, "happened to" is not accurate; I always take that path when I'm in the store no matter toward which aisle I'm ultimately headed.

This time a new hardcover book caught my eye primarily because its cover looked so familiar. Turns out that it is by the author of The Kite Runner and this new one, A Thousand Splendid Suns, has a very similar cover. My errand didn't leave me with much spare time but the book was marked 25% off so I took a chance on it. I've taken a closer look at it now, and it appears to be something that I'll really like.

So...here's the fateful fifth full sentence from page 161:
"This was the first time that someone whom Laila had known, been close to, loved, had died."
That quote becomes more meaningful when taken in the context of the book, a novelization of the last 30 years of Afghanistan history as seen through the eyes of two generations of a simple Afghan family. I'm not sure when this one will work its way to the top of my TBR list, but I'm confident that this is a good one.

3 comments:

  1. I liked that book. Didn't LOVE it, but liked it. But let's move on to the important stuff. What did your wife bake? And can I have some?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by "that book" I meant The Kite Runner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She baked a huge chocolate cake using my favorite recipe...great stuff, but damn, I need to get more exercise if I'm going to eat like this. I was "retired" from my job two months ago and I still haven't found a regular exercise program. I lost all my old routines and haven't replaced some of them yet.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.