Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Is Your E-Reader Destroying Your Love Life?

Lisa Lewis
From The New York Times Complaint Box comes something else for users of e-book readers to worry about...singles, that is (or married ones looking to flirt a bit in public, for that matter).  According to one Lisa Lewis, the darn things are ruining her love life.

Lisa complains that the new gadgets are depriving her of her tried and true, best pick-up line: "I love that book."  If she can't tell what the guy is reading, she can hardly break the ice with her old standby line - and she is unwilling to take a shot in the dark because of the real possibility that what the guy is reading on his e-reader will be a real turn-off to her.

As Lisa cleverly puts it, "You can't tell a book by its Nook."

To her credit, Lisa mentions several instances of "bookish" conversations of the non-romantic type she has had with public readers, conversations that remind me of a few similar ones I have had.

Read the piece; you'll like it.  And, check out Lisa's blog for more of her thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sam,
    A friend pointed me to your blog, and I wanted to thank you for the lovely shout out. If you have any good country music recommends, I'd love to hear. I'm learning harmonica, mostly blues and bluegrass, but I'd love to branch out.
    All best,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed your piece and figured that folks who stop by here would get a kick out of it, too. I try to include things here from the "reader's" point-of-view, and this seemed to fit that niche pretty well.

    Send me an e-mail sometime if you want to talk country music. These days, I mostly follow bluegrass and honky tonk country because live honky tonk is still common here in Houston. Bluegrass, though, has become my true love. Speaking of harmonica, Mike Snider, a comic-country artist does a couple of tremendous harmonica ballads in his live shows. I might have videoed one of them...I'll look.

    BTW, I tried to learn harmonica last year but gave up on it. I need to pick it up again to see what might happen.

    samrsattleratgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa if you can get it check out my station www.live365.com/listen/busgaljan or look under country on Itunes for Bus of Real Country

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaargh, Lisa is right. Dislike! Oops, forgot -- this isn't Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always curious about what other people are reading and miss being able to snoop on them now that there are so many Nooks and Kindles on my airline travels!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.