Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Paperback Writer" Bluegrass Style - The Punch Brothers

This is another song from ROMP 2011, this time from Chris Thile & the Punch Brothers.  These guys had kind of a Beatle vibe going all night long, and they finally made it official by breaking into this bluegrass version of "Paperback Writer."  The band is using the five instruments that traditional bluegrass bands always include: guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, and stand-up bass.  I particularly like their instrumental break when Thile shines on mandolin and the other guys come in for their own short solos.

So here you have it, the Bluegrass Beatles:

2 comments:

  1. My dad is from Kentucky so I grew up listening to bluegrass music. I love this version of the Beatle's song. I have to say I like it even better than the Beatle's version! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, I am fascinated by hearing a Beatle's song accompanied by all the traditional bluegrass acoustic instrumentation. That cracks me up for some reason...and this really is a great version of the song.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.