Translate

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Best of 2010, Update 12


This is starting to get tough. I've read six books since the last time I updated my Best of 2010 list and four of the six are really good. As I start to write this, I'm not even sure how many of them are going to make the list, so let's see where I end up.



The three additions to the list are in bold print.


Top 10 after 28 possibilities:


1. Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese (novel)
2. Lies My Mother Never Told Me - Kaylie Jones (memoir)
3. Man of Constant Sorrow - Ralph Stanley and Eddie Dean (biography)
4. Matterhorn - Karl Marlantes (Vietnam War novel)
5. The Opposite Field - Jesse Katz (memoir)

6. The Calligrapher's Daughter - Eugenia Kim (novel)

7. The Tennis Partner - Abraham Verghese (1996 memoir)
8. A Fair Maiden - Joyce Carol Oates - (novel)
9. The Samaritan's Secret - Matt Beynon Rees - (detective novel)
10. Game Change - John Heilemann and Mark Halperin (political nonfiction)


Personal Note: I've been spending a huge number of hours sitting with my father, first at the hospital and now in the rehab center, as he recovers from knee replacement surgery. That's caused me to be slow to respond to comments and I apologize for that. I hope to catch up soon.
Post a Comment