Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Return to the Hundred Acre Wood

I hesitate to write a third consecutive post about the new Pooh book - but here goes, anyway.

Because of a fluke in my work schedule, I had the opportunity this afternoon to get my hands on a copy of Return to the Hundred Acre Wood. I stopped at my local Barnes & Noble store on the way home and spotted a little display of about a dozen of the books at the entrance to the children's section.

The book retails for $19.99 but B&N, if I remember right, is offering a 10% discount. I was the only person in the store who seemed at all interested, but a Tuesday afternoon might not be the best time for me to make a judgment regarding any buzz that might be generated by the new book.

Physically, at least, this is a beautiful little book. It is printed on high quality paper and I enjoyed thumbing through the book's numerous illustrations. I read one of the stories but it has been so long since I read the original Pooh stories it would be unfair of me to compare the two. It will be interesting to read the reviews which should start showing up in the next few days.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sam. It has been a while since I have commented on any of your posts due to our upcoming move. It has been quite stressful trying to sell a house in this economy. But enough about that. I wanted to talk about this book. My son (who is now 15) loved Winnie the Pooh while he was young. We had all the movies, books, toys, baby bottles....you name it, we had it. I might just have to buy this one just for the fond memories that it evokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you again, Melanie. I can imagine what you've been going through trying to sell a home in this market...very stressful situation.

    If you buy this one, please let me know what your impressions are. It's been too long for me to make a fair comparison between the originals and this new presentation of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with Pooh and so did my daughter (with some of my old books). I cannot wait to pick this one up and am also curious to see others thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, I am planning to read this new Pooh book with my reading partner in the upcoming Christmas season. Thank you for posting about it.
    I used to think that classic books like this should be left alone, rather than have a contemporary author sort of rejuvenate a series.
    BUT...... I revised that theory after reading ALL of the William Horwood sequels to Wind In The Willows. All of which proved to be every bit as Toad-rific and Moley-ificent as the original work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine, I would love to hear what you and your daughter think of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cip, I have to admit that my first impressions of the book were all positive ones. It is a high quality book - physically, I mean. The paper is heavy, the binding is solid and the dust jacket is relatively attractive. The illustrations have a "classic" look, too.

    I read the first story in the book and found it satisfying but it's been way too long since I've read the originals for me to make a fair comparison between the two. Do let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.