The last two weeks have been somewhat of a challenge when it comes to finding much time to read or to post anything here on Book Chase, and that is likely to continue well into the foreseeable future. As I briefly mentioned before, we are in the midst of unraveling all the complications arising from my brother-in-law’s sudden death in a traffic accident. In less than two weeks, that has already required us to make five separate trips totaling over 900 miles, so reading and blogging time is definitely at a premium.
But I woke up this morning wondering what people were reading exactly 100 years ago, in 1926. I’m hoping to read a few 1926 novels just to remind myself how quickly time sneaks up on all of us, and I’ll be choosing primarily from this bunch:
- The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
- Soldiers’ Pay by William Faulkner
- The Plumed Serpent by D.H. Lawrence
- All the Sad Young Men by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Mantrap by Sinclair Lewis
- Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner
- Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
- The Private Life of Helen of Troy by John Erskine
- Show Boat by Edna Ferber
- Early Autumn by Louis Bromfield
- The Silver Spoon by John Galsworthy
- Beau Sabreur by P.C. Wren
- The Hounds of Spring by Sylvia Thompson
- After Noon by Susan Ertz
- The Blue Window by Temple Bailey
- My Mortal Enemy by Willa Cather
- The Romantic Comedians by Ellen Glasgow
- Adam’s Breed by Radclyffe Hall
- Under the Tonto Rim by Zane Grey
- The Dark Chamber by Leonard Cline
If I can read even two or three of these before the end of the year, I’ll consider this to have been a successful self-challenge. If anyone wants to join me in reading at least one 1926 novel, feel free to choose anything else from that year and to suggest others for me to consider.
Now I need to sit down and actually read something…anything…before my frustration gets the better of me.
(The image up above is only the second image I’ve ever generated using AI, but I think it does a pretty good job of setting the tone for this new goal of mine.)
I missed that sad news! I am so sorry, and it adds to the pain and stress of the loss when one has to juggle logistics at the same time.
ReplyDeleteRegarding 1926, I think I have only read The Sun Also Rises and The Silver Spoon from your list but I also really liked The Proper Place by O. Douglas and The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery (which is more of an adult book than her other books). For some reason, I have Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner on my list so someone must have recommended it highly, for what that's worth.
Thank you, Constance. The amount of red tape we are having to work our way through is almost overwhelming. Thankfully, staying extra busy right now is probably the best thing for my wife, so there’s that, at least.
DeleteI’ve only read a couple of the books on the list and that was so long ago it doesn’t really count anymore. I’ll have to look into that book by Warner to see if it’s a good place to start. Thanks.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mary, for the kind words.
DeleteSam, know this is a hard and sad time for you guys. Take care and I hope you enjoy your 1926 challenge. Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteKay, we appreciate that. Reading is about my only escape right now even though I have so little time for it. I appreciate your kindness.
DeleteWhat a fun idea to read books from 100 years ago. There's an Agatha Christie from 1926, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, which I've never read. So this year would be the perfect year to read it. :D
ReplyDeleteI noticed that that one was published in 1926, but as I’ve yet managed to take to Christie, I don’t have high hopes that it’s one I would finish. I still can’t figure out why Agatha Christie doesn’t appeal to me more than she does.
DeleteSam, I am sorry to hear of your brother-in-law's death and also the disruption to your normal life.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of your personal challenge, and that is a good list of books. One on that list I would like to read especially is Lolly Willowes, and I think I have a copy. Show Boat by Ferber is on my Classics List.
I've started Lolly Willowes, but I'm only about a dozen pages in. It's all pretty dry to this point, but the author is just filling in the backstory before she takes off in the present, so I'm hoping the pace will pick up soon. Thanks for the kind words.
Delete