Thursday, October 03, 2019

When Old Photos Spring to Life

I realize that black and white photography and black and white movies are considered a distinct art form. And rightly so. But I've also noticed just how much life can be pumped into old black and white photos and films by realistically colorizing them. 

One of my very favorite websites is the Shorpy Historial Photo Archive which makes wonderful old black and white photos from the past available to those who colorize old pictures as a hobby. The results are often stunning; just take a look at these examples:









The first set is from 1905, the second from the 1950s, and the third is from the 1920s.

Don't they just spring to life? The added color makes me feel as if these folks are someone I might just spot walking down the street or at the mall today. I love that feeling.

Clicking on the photos should give you a larger view of them.

4 comments:

  1. Color definitely makes a difference, but you know, I still like the original black and white better. Somehow color makes them feel less true to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we react to the addition of color so differently? I find the group picture from 1905 to be particularly striking because of how "real" the women suddenly look. Their hair styles become more noticeable and I find myself studying the expressions on their faces to help me judge their personalities, etc. In black and white they could have been women from 500 years ago for as real as they seemed to me.

      Delete
  2. They are more vivid with color, but I think I like them better in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I'm not the most artistic person in the world, nor do I always appreciate art the way it deserves to be appreciated. I don't dislike b&w photos and films, but they never quite seem real to me. This kind of colorization, especially of the really old photos, reminds me that those in the photos were just like us - and now they are gone forever.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.