Monday, October 01, 2012

Banned Books Week - Read'em While You Can

Banned Books Week started yesterday (9/30-10/6), so here's a little something (thanks to Open Road Media) to get all of you in the mood to read a banned or censored book during the month of October:



 Every time I read a list of banned, censored, or challenged books, I seem to find more of my favorites somewhere on the list.

Take a look at this poster-style presentation of famous banned books from the Open Road Banned Books Week website and I suspect that you will find some of your own favorites.  Click on the book icons to see a little pop-up blurb about why these particular books were chosen for special treatment by those who believe they know what's best for the rest of us.  Prince of Tides immediately jumped out at me because Pat Conroy has long been one of my favorite writers and this is my favorite of all of his books.  I see Robert McCammon's Boy's Life on the poster, also.  I have had that one on my shelves since it was first published in 1991 and still have not read it...don't ask.  I flipped through it this evening, and it is going into the TBR stack now, so thank you, would-be-censors.  I had forgotten I even owned this one.

And that is the real beauty of Banned Books Week.  Authors have to love being singled out for this kind of attention because I cannot imagine that many of them could afford to buy this level of publicity. Human nature being what it is, banning a book has to be great for sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.