Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Best of 2011, Update 8

There are barely two months left in the year, so it's time for another update to my evolving Best of 2011 lists.  I did read 12 books since I edited the two lists last month, but I'm light on the nonfiction titles again: 10 fiction, 2 nonfiction.

Additions to the fiction list are found at numbers 3 (Remember Ben Clayton), 7 (The Art of Fielding), and 8 (Lamb) - and the books at numbers 4-6 each move up a notch.

Fiction: (Top 10 of 76 considered):

1. Nemesis - Philip Roth (novel)

2. Saturday - Ian McEwan (novel)

3. Remember Ben Clayton - Stephen Harrigan (novel)

4. Doc - Mary Doria Russell (novel)

5. Love at Absolute Zero - Christopher Meeks (novel)

6. That Old Cape Magic - Richard Russo (novel)

7. The Art of Fielding - Chad Harbach (novel)

8. Lamb - Bonnie Nadzam (novel)

9. Hustle - Jason Skipper (novel)

10.Among the Wonderful - Stacy Carlsen - (novel)
There are no changes to the Non-Fiction list this time around (that's a first), mainly because I only had two titles to consider.  But it's also because I don't feel comfortable moving a classic like Black Boy onto the list and the other title (Juan William's Muzzled) didn't top any of the titles already there.

Non-Fiction: (Top 10 of 30 considered):

1. If Trouble Don't Kill Me - Ralph Berrier, Jr. (biography)

2. Wolf: The Lives of Jack London - James L. Haley (biography)

3. Hitch 22: A Memoir - Christopher Hitchens (memoir)

4. Bittersweet Season - Jane Gross (on caring for aging parents)

5. Tiny Terror - William Todd Schultz (psychobiography of Truman Capote) 
6. Chinaberry Sidewalks - Rodney Crowell (memoir)

7. We Were Not Orphans - Sherry Matthews (memoirs from life in a Texas home for neglected children)

8. He Stopped Loving Her Today - Jack Isenhour - (music memoir)

9. What It Is Like to Go to War - Karl Marlantes (memoir)

10. Lincoln's Men - William C. Davis (Civil War History)
It's almost time to start the countdown...where has this year gone?

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your lists. #3 on your non-fiction list reminds me that I have a book of Hitchens' essays on my shelf at home, just waiting to be read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hitchens really intrigues me, Kathleen. I've braced myself for when the news of his death finally comes...looks inevitable, unfortunately, that the cancer will be his end.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.