Sunday, November 13, 2011

Library Haul

My weekly run to the local branch of my county library yielded another fine batch of books that I can't wait to jump into - but first I have to finish The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb and at least one ARC that I have waiting on top of my never-shrinking TBR stack.  I'm enjoying the Mrs. Tom Thumb book to this point, but at just a bit over half way through it, I'm finding myself losing interest in it.  I think that's because I'm in the section about the wedding and its immediate aftermath - a portion of the book that leaves our heroine looking a whole lot less heroic and personally appealing.  I have the sense that the book is headed toward a rather tragic ending - or a series of lesser tragedies - and I'm looking forward to a change in tone.

Anyway...yesterday I picked up copies of the new Jeffrey Eugenides book, The Marriage Plot; an interesting memoir titled The Girl's Guide to Homelesness; a novel by respected author Dana Spiotta called Stone Arabia. and one other with a title I couldn't resist, The Use and Abuse of Literature.  I was able to get all but the Eugenides book for 4-weeks but that one has a long waiting list so I can ethically keep it only two weeks, meaning it will have to be the first one I read from this haul.

Oh, and I picked up another audio book for my commute to the office (it's less than 20 minutes each way, so audio books tend to last a while).  Many, many years ago I read a lot of Rex Stout mysteries but I can barely remember why or the plots of any of the books.  So when I saw a "Complete and Unabridged" audio version of Might as Well Be Dead, I decided to revisit that one.  From what I can tell, this one was written in 1956, so it will be interesting to see if it seems dated or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.