Sunday, April 03, 2011

Weekend Random Thoughts and Happenings

Bonobo Ape
Another weekend, this time a three-day one, has flown by and I'm trying to prepare myself mentally to return to the work-week grind before daybreak tomorrow morning.  It seems more and more often that I approach a weekend with big plans and end it with a bit of a confused whimper because so few of my big plans ever get tackled.

I did manage to get in a good bit of reading- finishing Gringos (Charles Portis) and reading over half of Ape House (Sara Gruen).  The first problem with this weekend's reading is that I found Gringos to be a major disappointment considering how much I enjoyed reading his True Grit a few days ago.  There has been so much hype about the re-release of the man's older novels that I couldn't wait to get my hands on one of them.  Maybe they were out-of-print for a reason?

The second problem with my weekend reading is that I'm finding it hard to believe that the same woman who wrote Water for Elephants wrote Ape House.  This new one started off strongly and I was hooked by the book's first dozen pages; then, it turned into a Romance Novel and the apes became minor, almost forgotten, characters.  Now, some 220 pages into the book, the apes are starting to take center stage again as "stars" of their own reality TV show.  Really, Sara?

Major distractions this weekend included a Saturday morning garage sale at my daughter's house in which she and my granddaughter netted all of $150 in sales.  Those things are always fun (to me, anyway) but it was hot and muggy and everyone involved, including the customers, seemed kind of sluggish.  It was so slow at times that I sneaked in some reading of Ape House while waiting for the next customers to drive or walk up.  Thank goodness I remembered to put my iPad in the car before I drove to my daughter's - my library copy of Ape House resting comfortably on the gadget.

The other major distraction is, of course, the start of baseball season - not that Houstonians will have anything much to cheer about this season, or most likely the next four or five.  Astros fans are enduring a complete rebuild of the team.  It is so bad that my most ambitious hope for the team this year is that it not humiliate itself by losing 100 games.  The Phillies made the Astros look like the Triple A team it really is, defeating us: 5-4, 9-4, and 7-2.  I'm trying to convince myself that I can still enjoy the season by admiring the skills on the opposing teams; after all, the pressure is off Astros fans for the foreseeable future.  Right?  Yeah, sure.

2 comments:

  1. The thought of the past few seasons and what looks like the future for this season makes me want to weep. But I love them no matter what. GO 'STROS!

    http://www.seekread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, we're in for a few tough seasons and that's especially hard to take after all the success the team had from the mid-eighties to the mid-200s. But we'll be back. These things run in cycles for every team except the mega-buck teams like NY, Boston, and one or two others.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.