Saturday, March 27, 2010

Best of 2010, Update 14

I've neglected Book Chase this week and that's really starting to bug me. In fact, I can't remember another time that I've gone three straight days without posting here. I have managed to write a couple reviews this week but both are for other sites and I can't use them here until they've been published on those websites. Too, I'm still living at my dad's house so that I can keep a close eye on his recovery from knee-replacement surgery - you can imagine all the little chores that are eating up my spare time because of that.

I have, though, managed to read three books since my last update of the Top 10 lists, so I'll do that this afternoon while the books are fresh on my mind and more easily relatable to the ones already on the list.

This is what the fiction list looks like now after 22 fiction books read:
1. Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese (novel)
2. Matterhorn - Karl Marlantes (Vietnam War novel)
3. The Calligrapher's Daughter - Eugenia Kim (novel)
4. Remarkable Creatures - Tracy Chevalier (historical fiction)
5. A Fair Maiden - Joyce Carol Oates (novel)
6. The Samaritan's Secret - Matt Beynon Rees (detective fiction)
7. Homer & Langley - E.L. Doctorow (novel)
8. Blind Submission - Debra Ginsberg (novel)
9. T Is for Trespass - Sue Grafton (detective fiction)
10. Get Out of the Way - Daniel Dinges (novel)
Remarkable Creatures enters the list at number 4.

And this is the nonfiction list, a Top 9 at this point because I've only read nine nonfiction titles to date:
1. Lies My Mother Never Told Me - Kaylie Jones (memoir)
2. Man of Constant Sorrow - Ralph Stanley & Eddie Dean (biography)
3. The Opposite Field - Jesse Katz - (memoir)
4. The Tennis Partner - Abraham Verghese (1998 memoir)
5. Game Change - John Heilemann & Mark Halperin (political nonfiction)
6. Top of the Order - Sean Manning, Ed. (baseball essays)
7. Goosetown: Reconstructing an Akron Neighborhood - Joyce Dyer (memoir)
8. Never Tell Our Business to Strangers - Jennifer Mascia (memoir)
9. Highest Duty - Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger (memoir)
Numbers 6 and 8 are additions to the list.

2 comments:

  1. you are a good son, Sam, and your dad is lucky to have you watching over him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the kind words, JoAnn. Let me tell you, my respect for nurses has gone way up since I moved in with my dad...I'm exhausted. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.