Thursday, August 06, 2009

Are You Serious?

From Booking Through Thursday:

What’s the most serious book you’ve read recently?
(I figure it’s easier than asking your most serious boook ever, because, well, it’s recent!)


Meeting Jimmie Rodgers by Barry Mazor

I'm not sure that it comes out in my review just how detailed this Jimmie Rodgers "biography" is. It does not follow a conventional biography format and, in fact, Jimmie is dead and buried before the book is much more than one-third of the way read. This is, instead, a book on music history, in particular the musical family tree of Mr. Rodgers who, according to Barry Mazor, was able to influence multiple genres ranging from blues, to punk, to country, to rock and roll. The book also lists countless recordings that make Mazor's case.

Meeting Jimmie Rodgers is every musicologist's dream and, as an avid amateur musicologist and recordings collector myself, I found it quite satisfying...and very serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.