Thursday, September 13, 2007

Welcome to the Library

I don't think there's a sound in the world more irritating than that little electronic beep that a smoke alarm makes when its battery goes bad. Every twenty seconds or so comes that little chirp that you just can't ignore. It's worse than the sound of a dripping faucet in the middle of the night. Well, that's what woke me up about 4:45 this morning and it took me the best part of an hour to find that 9-volt battery that I just knew had to be here somewhere and to get that sound to finally stop (somehow, even removing the dead battery does not stop the chirping).

By then there was no way I was going to get any more sleep, so I started looking for something new that would put me in a better mood...and I found this great YouTube video created by the staff of the Seneca College library in Toronto. It's soothing, it's funny, and it's about a library. How cool is that?


8 comments:

  1. I once woke up to the smoke alarm going off like a banshee and I had absolutely no idea of what that noise was. Aliens landing? My next door neighbor (it was a fourplex) finally came over (at 3am) with a battery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, there is absolutely no way to sleep through that chirping sound once it finally wakes you up. It felt like Christmas morning when I finally found a 9-volt battery around here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the smoke alarm...but I really enjoyed the video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that song great, Robin? It actually grew on me and I listened to it at least four times yesterday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGH HATE SMOKE ALARMS.

    My favorite part is where he sings ELL EYE BEE ARRRRE ary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, too, Dewey. It took me a minute or two to completely figure out what he was spelling, but once I got it I realized how clever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That guy looks a lot like Canadian author Robert J. Sawyer. I had to check Rob's website out to figure, not it's probably not him.

    The end-credit says Michael London.

    But yeah the song was fun!! !

    Thanks for finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I assumed he was a library employee, Historia.

    I just watched it again...it still cracks me up. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.