Monday, July 09, 2007

Another Strikeout

I seem to be in one of those stretches where I can walk into a bookstore, spend about 20 minutes aimlessly wandering the shelves, and then walk away empty-handed. That so seldom happens to me that when it did happen twice again this morning it made me wonder what's going on. I've actually made six bookstore visits in a row without purchasing a single book, six visits that total up to maybe 90 minutes combined.

It's not like I don't have literally dozens of books in the house just crying out to be read, so I'm not particularly concerned that my stash is shrinking a little. It's more that I'm in some kind of a mood for which I can't peg the source or the cure. Maybe it's because all the visits were to three of the stores that have rejected me as a potential employee, leaving some kind of bad taste in my mouth. I hope that's not it because it's kind of childish if it is. Maybe I'll test that theory by going to a different store tomorrow, not one of my usuals, just to see what happens.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe it's because you've seen what's in stock so many times that it doesn't feel fresh to you. That's how it is here. Although it was torture, it helped me to stay away for about 6 weeks and when I came back in the store last weekend, they had some new things I'd been seeking. Plus, I was on my "Anne of Green Gables" mission. Maybe you'll come to be on some sort of bookwormy mission soon.

    Re: the bookstores rejecting you as a potential employee: They're idiots with bad taste. I don't know why I always think a bookstore would be more discerning. Breaks my heart every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, bybee. Maybe what I need is an enforced break from those particular stores until their stock has rotated a bit. I'll have to drive farther in order to get to different stores but it will probably be more productive if I do.

    As for my quest to get some part time work out of the local one, well I've about given up on that idea. There's obviously some reason that I got so little interest from any of the four stores I approached so maybe it's just not meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That happens to me every once in a while - I'll walk into several bookstore and walk out empty-handed. I hate it every time. I begin to wonder, Where's all the interesting literature? because it seems as if I've seen it all before.

    Bybee's right, sometimes an enforced break helps or a trip to a really good independent bookstore where you're sure to come across something different. That usually does the trick too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice, J.S. I'm going to drive an extra few miles in a day or so to see if that can shake me out of my slump. I think it all comes down to me be so overly familiar with the stock and floor plans of the couple of stores I've been to recently.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.